Wheeling and Lake Erie yards Brewster Ohio 1910Matt Arnold of Bolivar, Ohio maintains a special passion for photographing anything railroad related. Matt is an honor student at the Tuscarawas Valley high school and has been recognized for this photographic skills. Matt has shared a few of his favorite photographs taken throughout our Tuscarawas Valley Ohio communities and we hope you enjoy the show... Thank you Matt!

The Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad has over 100 years of history within the Tuscarawas Valley Ohio region! We are currently in the process of researching the history of the transportation industries of our Tuscarawas Valley and hope to add much more to this page as we learn.

 

"The history of the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway Company (W&LE) began in 1871 with the need for a rail connection between the Wheeling, West Virginia coal fields and Lake Erie port cities and facilities. Initial enthusiasm was offset by capital constraints and financial difficulties which slowed the progression of the line until 1877 when interest began again in earnest to move southeastern Ohio coal to Lake Erie and iron ore from the Lake to steel plants in southeast Ohio. In 1913 the main offices were moved to Brewster, Ohio, where they remain today.

After World War II, W&LE has had various owners — first the Nickel Plate leased the line, then the Norfolk & Western took control, and finally, the Norfolk & Western and Southern Railway merged to become Norfolk Southern (NS). The W&LE was dissolved as a corporate entity in 1989. A spin off sale in 1990 by the NS to a group of investors renewed the old corporate name. The new rail system was now made up of a combination of the former W&LE, the Pittsburgh & West Virginia (PWV) and the Akron, Canton & Youngstown (ACY) lines. The 576 miles of track, combined with trackage rights acquired from NS, encompassed 840 miles." - Lake Erie & Wheeling Railroad's website is at http://www.wlerwy.com/

Wikipedia also has an informative page about Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway (1916–1988), leased to the Nickel Plate Road in 1949 and merged into the Norfolk and Western Railway in 1988.